The date I planned to leave is rapidly approaching–only 19 days away. Yet I have a very, very big problem. It never occurred to me that this could possibly be a problem and I took for granted that it wouldn’t be. Now I’m finding that my assumptions have been entirely incorrect.
My major assumption was this: I would sell my truck and some of my higher dollar items I have at home that I no longer use and I would use that to pay for my basic expenses like food, phone, internet, and miscellaneous needs while I was on the road. I have been planning on selling my truck for a while, and thought that for sure the moment I put it up for sale, it would sell. The few times in the past that I put cars up for sale on craigslist, they went pretty quickly. So I just took it as a given that selling the truck wouldn’t be a problem. I’ve seen some other walkers do the same–they’ve sold their vehicles and some belongings, etc. and took off.
Apparently, it’s a problem. I’ve got the truck listed in carandtrucktrader, the Oregonian, and craigslist and I’ve posted fliers around my neighborhood. I’ve had the truck listed for over a month! I keep re-listing my other stuff, too. Yet I’ve only had a few nibbles, and most people seem to be expecting to get a great thing for pennies on the dollar. I don’t think so.
In addition, the only people who’ve been interested or made offers on the truck and my other items at home (I used to make bead jewelry, so I’m selling my entire collection of jewelry making supplies) have been scammers who have been “satisfied” with the condition of the “item” sight unseen and want me to give them my full name, address, phone number, price (I already said the price in the ad), and my firstborn in order to send me a check. Yeah, right.
So I’m incredibly frustrated. I had expected to sell it and my other stuff by now so that I would have plenty of time to do my last minute preparations. It’s looking like beginning April is definitely out as my starting date. What I’m afraid of, though, is if this keeps up and I don’t sell it before mid-April, I won’t be able to go at all.
The latest I feel comfortable starting this trek is May 1st. Much later than that, and I’ll be walking through the mountain ranges on the east coast in winter. Uh-uh. Don’t want that. And I figure I need at least two weeks after selling my truck to get the last minute things I still need.
I never had a plan B, because it was inconceivable to me that I would have this problem. This last week as I’ve been panicking, I’m realizing that I might need a plan B after all. So while I madly charge around like a crazy loon over the next few days/weeks/? trying to sell my truck and get the funding I need to do just the basics of this walk, I’ll also be partitioning a part of my brain off and putting it to work on a plan B. For just in case. Damn. I don’t want to even think about me not being able to go this year. That would depress the hell out of me.
*taking a big, deep, meditative breath*
Panicking doesn’t help. The nerves don’t help my stress level, which is high enough as it is right now. IF I can’t sell the truck in time, that means I would have to put the walk off until next year. If that’s the case, I wonder what would be an appropriate thing to do for plan B to prepare for next year and be able to come back at this fully funded and ready to roll?
I mentioned before that I had been thinking of trying to figure out some sort of charity to follow or maybe start my own foundation. Perhaps that is something that I could pursue more thoroughly. Putting off the walk for another year would give me more time to prepare (since I did jump into this rather quickly), which would be a good thing, though not good for my nerves. I’m tired of waiting. I could train more and be in even better shape for next year.
Ugh. I’m trying to see the positives in having to wait one more year and give myself a pep-talk in case that happens, but I still feel lousy, like my dreams are being dashed and tromped on. I really hope I sell the dang truck soon!
*another deep meditative breath*
But…just in case…Any suggestions for a Plan B?