June 8-10 and a Half Marathon!

Well, it looks like it’s that time of week again.  Wow–these weeks are just flying by!  Friday Follow Ups are my attempts to log the miles around Portland and maybe show off a few pics I took along the way.

Because the weekend of the 8-10 involved one heavy day of walking and the other two without, I’m combining the days into one post.

Friday’s Highlights-

Friday I deliberately took off from my exercise routine, since I knew I was going to be walking a half marathon on Saturday.  I didn’t even go to the gym, and I normally do on Fridays!   So Friday is boring walking-wise, as I only did a tiny bit to take my doggie out for his potty time.

Friday I walked 2.22 miles.

Saturday’s Highlights-

Somebody left this mirror by the dumpster. How handy for taking a walk-by self portrait! Note all the gear I’m carrying, too. Extra shoes, umbrella, walking stick/tripod, fanny pack with bandages and moleskin, extra socks, a snack, my ID & some money, and lots of water!

Saturday was THE day.  Yep.  In honor of the Helvetia Half Marathon that I was too broke to sign up for, I decided to walk my own dang half-marathon.  So I did.  It was friggin’ awesome.

I don’t think most people would describe walking 13.1 miles as “friggin’ awesome”, but then, I’m not most people.  I actually had a really, really good time on this walk.  I was trying to get it done in 5 hours.  Unfortunately, I didn’t take into account the fact that I like to snap pictures, which is time consuming, or that I would have my dog along for the first leg, which is time consuming as well, since dogs gotta smell the pee-mail.  And of course, I didn’t take into account the fact that I would lose my tripod walking stick during a potty stop at Safeway and that I would have to backtrack and search all over the store to find it.  But the worst thing was the route.  I chose a very hilly route (up and down up and down up and down over and over ad nauseum), which took me a lot longer to walk.

So the entire thing took me 6 hours.  I was still pretty happy with that, because the last 4-5 miles were actually my fastest miles, as I was afraid I wouldn’t make my destination (Lucky Lab Brewery on Hawthorne) in time.  I had Micah post on facebook that I was going to be there at 2pm and I was afraid I was going to be late.

The last time I walked a half marathon (which I believe was in 2005, since I think that in 2009 during my walk then I came pretty close to doing a half marathon during the day, but never quite reached it), I felt like someone had beaten the crap out of me afterwards.  I even lost a toenail from a super bad blister.  This time around I didn’t get a single blister and I felt fine.  A little pooped, but fine.  I probably could have kept walking if I had needed to.  I think the fact that I’ve been training longer this time around probably helped.  My gym time the last month probably helped, too.  Ironically, I think I was around the same weight I am now the last time I walked a half marathon.  So that’s kind of cool.  That means I’m in a bit better shape right now.

I think my feet handled it better this time because I took some extra precautions.  About mid-way through, I replaced the moleskin that was starting to wear off and changed into a fresh pair of socks and shoes.  I think it made all the difference.

Once I got to Lucky Lab, I ordered myself a hard apple cider in celebration.  Yay!  Woof.  I think I drank it too fast, because I was in a hurry to get home and help my honey work on his filming project.  The cider gave me the burps and my head felt funny.  🙂  But the filming project went really well!

I took a bunch of pictures during the walk, so enjoy!

Saturday I walked 13.33 miles total.

I kept track of mileage using dots. Every 20 blocks (which is approximately one mile), I put a dot on my hand. I compared that to my pedometer to make sure I was staying fairly accurate. It worked pretty well, too.

Sunday’s Highlights-

Sunday, I didn’t do too much walking.  Mostly just walking the dog.  I wanted to give myself a little recovery time from Saturday (though I didn’t really feel like I needed it much, I still thought it would be a good idea).  Instead, I went to a friend’s house and we had a game day.  We play tested one of my games and had a really fun time!

Sunday I walked 3.68 miles.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s